Eligibility for Application in Spring 2015 (Funding Begins Summer 2015):
- Students graduating in Spring 2017 who will do undergraduate research with designated Beckman Mentors in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, or the Florida Museum of Natural History. Note: The requirements of the Beckman Scholars Program are incompatible with those of the Junior Honors Medical Program.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States at the time of application.
General Criteria (Use These As Approximate Guidelines Rather Than Strict Rules):
- Applicants are typically in their 4th semester at UF with a strong chemistry, biology, or medical research interest.
- UF GPA 3.8 or mathematics SAT 770 or score of 5 on two different science/physics/math AP exams.
- For chemistry majors: completion of CHM 2051 and enrollment in CHM 2212/2213.
- Applicants must be passionate about research and their education - this program is NOT about filling in a resume.
- For students appointed as Beckman Scholars: Applicants must be available to attend the national Beckman Scholars Meetings at the end of July 2015 and/or July 2016, at the Beckman Center of the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering in Irvine, California.
- For students appointed as Provost's BSP Scholars: Applicants must agree to attend a scientific conference to be chosen by student and advisor.
- Awardees must sign an agreement committing to completing the entire program and attending the appropriate conference.