An Investigation of Candidate Genes Related to Ovary Number in Apis mellifera (Western Honeybees)

Abigail Kimes

Authors:  Abigail Kimes, Samantha Brooks

Faculty Mentor:  Samantha Brooks

College:  College of Agricultural and Life Science

The aim of this study is to examine the predicted function of genes present in regions of the genome that influence different physiological characteristics of bees. The phenotype focused on was ovary number. Genome wide association identified a single significant locus controlling tergite color to correlate with the ovary number trait. Identification of causative mutations or linked markers would allow for genome-assisted selective breeding for these traits in honeybees, producing bees with more ovaries and capable of supporting faster population growth. A gene located on chromosome 7 named ‘GB46495’ was identified to correlate ovary number and tergite color.

Abigail
Abigail (@guest_158)

Hello, here is the link to my zoom meeting: This meeting will start at 2pm EST today (April 2nd)

Abigail
Abigail (@guest_160)
Reply to  Abigail
Annelise Vieira
Annelise Vieira (@guest_1316)

Hi Abigail! I clicked on your page because I’m interested in genetics and bioinformatics as well. I think that GWAS was a great approach and I’m glad to see that your study generated useful data. I thought you explained everything well and I enjoyed learning about your project!

Abigail
Abigail (@guest_2608)
Reply to  Annelise Vieira

Thank you so much!

Alexandra Nielsen
Alexandra Nielsen (@guest_2266)

Your video did a good job of further explaining the information and results found on your poster, good work. I was not aware that African honeybee workers can produce, interesting information!
What are the benefits of thelytoky in Western honeybees?

Abigail
Abigail (@guest_2576)
Reply to  Alexandra Nielsen

Thelytoky allows Western honeybees to produce asexually. This allows for a faster reproduction rate in bees and hopefully will allow for large population growth. Thank you for your question!

Allen Wysocki - Associate Dean CALS
Allen Wysocki - Associate Dean CALS (@guest_7572)

Abigail:

I enjoyed learning more about your research. I think it is great that you are working on research that is cutting across disciplines. your presentation is well organized and easy for the audience to follow.

Doc W