Fall 2020

Jamarcus Robertson, a graduate student in the Fisk-Vanderbilt Masters to PhD Bridge Program, graduated in 2018 with a degree in microbiology and cell sciences. During his time at UF, Jamarcus completed research as a McNair Scholar and Florida Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (FLGSAMP) Scholar. He also worked as a student assistant for the Center for Undergraduate Research, assisting in a variety of events and research scholarship programs.

Why did you get started in undergraduate research? I got involved with research to become a pursue my career goals and find a community at the University of Florida.

How has your research experience shaped your career? CUR was one of the first departments that I had interacted with during my freshman year at UF and they had a major impact on my undergraduate career. CUR has provided multiple leadership and scholarship opportunities that allowed me to grow as a student and a researcher. The CUR office also provided me a community that I could call home at UF.

What advice would you give someone interested in undergraduate research? Always challenge yourself when you are conducting research try to gain a more active role in the lab.